Tuesday, November 8, 2011

I forgot something ..

As I was sitting here reading Meggie's blog I realized I had an amazing running experience that is too unforgettable not to mention. On Oct 9, 2011 I watched my first marathon. I ran the race in 2009, but have never actually cheered on runners during a marathon, or a half, for that matter. My coworker and good friend, Bill, and his boyfriend Zak were running and I was super charged to see them, cheer them on, and bring them pretzels . . Bill's one request. They trained with the Team to End AIDS, which is the group I trained with in 09 for the Chicago Marathon (then called the AIDS Marathon Training Program). I woke up early and took the train to the Addison stop on the red line, then walked to Addison and Broadway (between mile 7 and 8). It was a tad chilly, but bright and sunny, and I was super charged up to see the elite runners. Unsure if I was early enough, I ran until I saw no runners had passed yet. Phew! I needed to see those fast guys! I needed to see Ryan Hall! And see them I did. Wow, they are fast. I began cheering and didn't stop for 2 hours. I saw people with their names on their shirts and cheered for them by name. Their smiles and thumbs up were so exciting for me because I am pretty sure one of the main reasons I finished the race in 09 was because of all the people cheering for me. Hearing "GO JAMIE" on every street, in every neighborhood, over and over again never got old. Around the 4:30 pace I started looking for Bill and Zak. I was so worried they would be running on the other side of the street and I would be unable to give them their pretzels. After searching and searching for every runner with a red shirt, I finally recognized the runner right in front of my face as Zak! I called his name. He looked at me and screamed. Bill was right behind Zak. I hugged him, cheered, threw him pretzels, and told him he was amazing. What a relief. I didn't miss him.

At this point I thought about maybe heading back home, but I was hypnotized. BY EVERY RUNNER. I got teary. I saw large people, small people, fast people, slower people, older, younger. I called people's names and high-fived a few. I cried a little. I felt a deep appreciation for humanity and respect for people who work hard, fight, push themselves, and have audacious goals. I could see how life changing this race was for many, many of the runners and it overwhelmed me. Cheering and supporting complete strangers just felt so therapeutic, so purely good. I stayed until the end, when the police cars drove through, and then I stayed for a few more runners still pushing on behind the cars. It was enriching and I am glad I have finally felt the other side of a race.

Bill and Zak finished together at 4:48. They are marathoners now. Way to go, guys!

No comments:

Post a Comment