Friday, October 28, 2011

Things I haven't told you about ...

So, I ran the Chicago Half Marathon on 9/11/11. It was hot, not as hot as the black flagged 1/2 in Chicago in June, but still hot. I didn't really enjoy it that much. I just wanted to get it over with. Time: 2:24:36. Afterward, I felt good and appreciated the 9/11 commemorative touches, but it just felt a tad lonely and I didn't feel strong. There was a man standing in line with me to get my second medal (Chicago Challenge: running the 13.1 in June and the Chicago Half on 9/11). We stood and chatted a bit for about 15 minutes and as we neared the front of the line he just staggered randomly away from the line and then collapsed. I ran to get help and the man was sitting in a chair, coherent and with a medic when I walked away 5 minutes later. This just reminded me that what I have been doing is extremely strenuous and I need to listen to my body. I tend to minimize things, but completing 7 1/2 marathons in a year is a big deal (including the one I hope to finish tomorrow, Chicago Monster Dash, more on that later).

I need to get something checked out. I have a pain behind my right knee, on the inside side of my leg. It seems to be the tendon/ligament fleshy part back there. This has hurt for a few weeks and gives me a feeling of instability when I'm walking, but doesn't cause too many issues when I'm actually running. It does tighten up during long runs and remains sore for a few days following. I know I need to see a doctor. Any pain that lasts for longer than 2-3 days after a run should be checked out. I'm making a possibly stupid decision and running this race tomorrow and then making an appointment.

About the race tomorrow . . my wonderful friend Miranda is currently on a plane to Chicago to run this race with me. I can hardly contain my excitement! We started this journey together with the Monumental 1/2 in Indy last Nov. Her second trip east, coming from Boise, ID, means that the next trip is mine to make :) Is there a half in Las Vegas? CA? Washington? Oregon? We had planned to dress up as Mario and Luigi, but my procrastination has caused me to be costume-less still the day before the race. Let's hope the KMART I check this evening has what I need. I've been battling a cold and had a possible low grade fever last night. This isn't good, obviously. I don't expect to run quickly tomorrow. I just hope I don't wake up at 7am tomorrow with chills, body aches, etc.

Will report back from Chicago's Monster Dash. Then, I need to consider what's next, hopefully, not a long hiatus due to injury.

2 comments:

  1. Ahhhh I'm sooooo excited that I'm commenting while sitting on the blue line! What I think is funny is that if we do run together tomorrow, you might be the push I need to run faster. Yay for us! Boo for the knee and sickness, but yay for us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Jamie! Also, come do a run on the west coast! There's the Nike women's half in San Fran, Big Sur has a pretty one...or you could always make the jump to trail running! There's one somewhere pretty much every weekend.

    ReplyDelete